Monday, April 19, 2010

Killing Your Resume

I remember having to go to the University Career Center and sitting with a counselor to review my resume. I had no experience and was about to graduate college. We've all had similar encounters during our job hunts. One of the biggest things the counselor told me was that I needed to add key words/phrases to my resume that reflected my strengths. So I did that... Ten years later, it looks like everybody and their mothers use similar key phrases to spruce up their resumes. With the power of Google, you can search for resume templates to land you the first interview easily. I only thought about this after reading a Yahoo article http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-experts-10_phrases_that_can_sink_your_resume-115

After looking at my current resume, I still have some of those key phrases in my summary section. Whatever... To me, the experience section is the most important. I know this because I'm performing the interviews now =] So even when I see these cliche descriptions, I'll ask the interviewee to elaborate more.

No comments:

Post a Comment